Katikati in the bay of plenty
Katikati (population 3579 at 2006 census) is a town located on the Uretara Stream near the tidal inlet opened by Matakana Island in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. The nearest city is Tauranga, which is 25 kilometres to the southeast. Katikati lies 28 kilometres south of Waihi.
Katikati was settled in 1875 by settlers from County Tyrone in Ireland through the Orange Institution. The settlement was established by the Irishman George Vesey Stewart, who lead two groups of settlers there aboard the ships Carisbrook Castle (1875) and Lady Jocelyn (1878). The land upon which the town was built was confiscated from local Mâori after the land wars, and was given to the settlers by the Central Government.
The settlement was formed from two distinct groups "the settlers useful and the settlers ornamental" referring to the tenant farmers and those with wealth. The settlement managed to withstand early economic problems and developed into a healthy town, based around farming and agriculture.
Katikati is known for its many murals painted on walls of commercial buildings, started in the 1990s as a project to regenerate tourist interest in the town and district.
There are hot springs three kilometres to the south of Katikati.
The educational facilities in Katikati are:
Katikati College (Years 7 -13), Katikati Primary (Years 1 - 6) and Matahui Road School (Years 1 - 8)
Regions of the Bay of Pleny